Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: what would be ...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    HB Forum Owner tomt's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 7th, 2003
    Posts
    5,483
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    what would be ...

    the horn dimensions, for somthing like this?



    mr90216hfb


    mr90216hfc


    mr90216hf

  2. #2
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: what would be ...

    The location of my loose ones eludes me, or I'd measure them. The one dimension I do remember is the shocker though, the throat opening is ~7/8".

    I have a theory...
    "[I]We're going all the way, till the wheels fall off and burn[/I]!"
    Bob Dylan, from [I]Brownsville Girl[/I]

    [I]"Time wounds all heels"[/I]
    John Lennon, referring to the Nixon/Hoover deportation fiasco.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: what would be ...

    FWIW, my SWAG is that the molding includes a reverse tapered adapter which does double duty to pre-load the WG that in turn will create a notch at the adapter's 3rd harmonic around 1 WL of its length and I imagine they designed this system combined with the supplied hi-pass cap to be the acoustic part of an acoustic 2nd order XO.

    Or do I give them too much credit and it's just another 'make do' mis-mash of existing parts?

    GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: what would be ...

    Dunno, that sounds reasonable though.

    My 'theory' reverts to MantaRay tech that uses a diffraction slot to fully "illuminate" the WG at HF on the big MRs. On the mini-MR, lacking the length for a slot, maybe the short, reduced throat serves that duty?

    Then again, it seems I read one of the preliminary 90x sheets once that listed a 7/8" exit. I never had any of the MR 16HF drivers to check that, only the horns.

    Added:
    The molded "adaptor" is ~1/4" long, and 7/8" round to 7/8" square in that length. With it removed, the body throat is still 7/8" square. Only way to get 1" is to shorten the horn, so the entire assembly appears to have been designed around the 7/8" dimension.
    "[I]We're going all the way, till the wheels fall off and burn[/I]!"
    Bob Dylan, from [I]Brownsville Girl[/I]

    [I]"Time wounds all heels"[/I]
    John Lennon, referring to the Nixon/Hoover deportation fiasco.

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: what would be ...

    Well, don't I feel like the dumba$$. All 900 series are 7/8" exit and if I ever noticed it I'd clean forgot I guess since I only was exposed to a few pairs others bought. Mostly I remember how they didn't load 511/500 Hz XOs very well due to their BW being shifted up to get less horn honk and more highs with SS amps. The smaller throat certainly explains a lot about how they achieved it.
    http://www.lansingheritage.org/image...pro/page05.jpg
    GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: what would be ...

    There's that sheet! Was thinking my thinker had thought bad thunks fer a minute...

    Not all 900s are 7/8" though, my 909s are 1" and the 909 sheet backs it up.

    Sooo... the horn merely fit the driver it was made for, no mystery. Begs the Q of the MR-equipped 604s internal WG dims though...(and if later/current production 900s are 7/8" or 1")

    Tom, the spec sheet lists the MR horn at 6-5/8"W x 4-9/16"H x 4-5/16D.
    "[I]We're going all the way, till the wheels fall off and burn[/I]!"
    Bob Dylan, from [I]Brownsville Girl[/I]

    [I]"Time wounds all heels"[/I]
    John Lennon, referring to the Nixon/Hoover deportation fiasco.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.